The steps to becoming a licensed California Driver
Dear Parents and Teens,
The Davis Academy Driving School understands that driving can be a stressful and confusing process.We’re here to help guide you toward becoming a SAFE and CONFIDENT licensed driver. After being the business since 1996 we've realized that the same question is always asked, “Now what do I do?”
- The first step is to take the Driver Education course which is offered on our website (you can also take the course in a classroom if it is offered in your area or at your school). Once you complete this course you will receive a Certificate of Completion.
- After completing the Driver Education course you receive a Certificate of Completion (DL 400 c).from Davis Academy Driving School.
- You will fill out the DMV application DL 44. In addition to this application you will need to provide DMV with the following information
- Social Security number
- Original Birth Certificate
- Pay a $31 application fee which allots you 3 opportunities to pass the written exam.
- Present your Certificate of Completion of Driver Education, Pass a vision exam, give a thumb print, and have your picture taken.
- Pass the written exam which has 46 questions. You must answer at least 39 correct in order to pass.
- Once you pass, you will receive your Provisional Permit.
- Then you start the behind the wheel to active your Permit
- YOUR PERMIT IS NOT LEGALLY VALID UNTIL YOU RECEIVE A SIGNATURE FROM A LICENSED INSTRUCTOR DURING YOUR FIRST BEHIND THE WHEEL LESSON
- YOU CAN NOT DRIVE ALONE FOR THE FIRST SIX MONTHS THAT YOU HAVE YOUR PROVISIONAL PERMIT.
If you want to take the DMV Drive Test to receive your license follow these steps:
- You must be at least 16 years old
- You must have your provisional permit for 6 months prior to taking the DMV Drive Test
- In the 6 months you have your Provisional Permit you must:
- Practice driving for 50 hours with a California licensed adult who is at least 25 years old, 10 of which must be done while driving at night.
- Complete all 6 hours of behind the wheel training with a DMV approved Licensed Instructor, such as the very experienced Instructors at the Davis Academy Driving School.
Call DMV toll free to schedule your appointment at 1-888-921-1117 (Voice Recognition)
or 1-800-777-0133 (Automated)
Once you’ve completed all of these steps you can call your local DMV to schedule an appointment
for a Drive Test!